There are so many different ways to consume marijuana. But a tincture of cannabis with its THC released and its extracted liquid can beat many of them. It is turning into a well-known method among both weed and cocktail enthusiasts alike.
But many may not opt for them solely because they can’t make them at home. But the procedure is not that complex, and anyone can DIY them. You must be careful about some points and choose the best-grade ingredients for your tincture.
Let’s show you how to do a fantastic job of extracting liquid out of marijuana in this article.
What is Liquid Marijuana
Liquid marijuana is what you get by removing or decreasing the THC from the cannabis by soaking it in a solvent like vinegar, oils, or alcohol. There are big reasons why its popularity is rising in the cannabis communities.
This concoction is way healthier compared to most other methods of weed consumption. It is so because the process takes away most of the active ingredients from the weed. Hence, you don’t have to worry about too much THC. Some common and high-quality liquid marijuana in this way is Charlotte’s Web or Ringo’s Gift.
Liquid marijuana goes by many names in the cannabis community. Most call it liquid THC. But you may also hear marijuana tincture, tink, green dragon, or mayzack.
So, if you want to surprise your guests or friends at the next party, try using liquid marijuana in any recipe.
Homemade Liquid Marijuana Recipe
Understanding the Ingredients
The quality of your ingredients will directly affect the final quality of your liquid marijuana. Hence, it is mandatory to get as good items as possible. The ingredients you will need for this oil are as follows-
- Plant Matter of High Quality: First and foremost, we will need around 5 grams of high-quality cannabis flower. The rule of thumb is to go for 1 cup of ground cannabis (7 grams of cannabis before grinding) per cup of oil. Otherwise, you can also go for 3.5 grams per cup of oil, which will have a reduced effect.
We recommend choosing a strain that you like. Any with good fragrance will be an ideal choice.
- Good Quality Cooking Oil: You will need any solvent for the process. While alcohol or vinegar works, oil is a good starter. Especially if you want a healthy outcome, opt for 1 cup (8 oz) of olive oil. Coconut oil or avocado oil works, too.
Additionally, you will need the following equipment for the project-
- A nonstick baking sheet
- Cannabis grinder
- Cheesecloth (or a filter)
- A double-boiler (or a heat-resistance bowl and a stovetop pot)
- A glass jar (airtight)
The Preparation Process
Carefully follow the steps below, and you will get a satisfactory result-
Step 1: Crushing and Grinding the Cannabis
The first step is to decarb the cannabis and crush it. Decarboxylating is the process of activating the CBD and THC in the weed. Most consuming methods of weed involve decarbing it first. Start by heating your oven to 240° F.
Crush your cannabis into tiny pieces using a grinder. Then, transfer them to a baking tray and spread them evenly. Afterward, put it in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Ensure not to ruin the terpenes inside by heating them for too long (over 40 minutes).
Step 2: Infusing the Cannabis with a Solvent
Now, it is time to infuse the marijuana with the solvent. You either need a double-boiler for this or a pot and bowel. In the latter case, put the pot on the stove and fill it halfway with water.
Place the heat-resistant bowl on it while making sure the bowl’s bottom doesn’t touch the water. If you are using a double-boiler, the water will go in the bottom part of it. Then start the stove on low heat and bring it to a shimmer.
At this point, pour the oil into the bowl (or in the top part of the double-boiler). Bring the oil between 160-180° F, and put in the ground cannabis. Stir often for 2-4 hours.
Keep the heat stable throughout the process. Of course, the water may evaporate as it goes. Add more water in that case.
Step 3: Filtering the Mixture
Next is the filtering part. Put a dish towel on the table or counter to avoid excess liquid ruining it. Then, put the glass mason jar on it and the strainer on the jar. Carefully get the weed and oil infusion from the double-boiler (or the bowl).
Then, filter the oil-cannabis infusion through the cheesecloth.
Step 4: Storing the Liquid Marijuana
Once the straining part is over, it is time to store the liquid marijuana carefully. The airtight mason jar you filtered the oil through is the perfect pick. Finally, store it in a cupboard or anything cool and dark at room temperature.
Tips and Tricks for Better Results
- If you have an infusion machine, you can quicken the first step using the device. It provides a better result than our method. However, it may cost a hefty sum.
- A cheesecloth instead of the strainer works better in providing a purer result.
- If you want a better outcome, filter the oil-cannabis mixture two times.
Common Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- Try not to store the oil in a plastic container if you want to avoid microplastics in your liquid marijuana. Similarly, avoid anything that is not airtight to prevent the oil from getting ruined quickly.
- Do not store the oil in a place with so much light. Instead, keep it somewhere dark, cool, and at room temperature.
Safety and Legal Considerations
- When handling the hot infusion on the double-boiler or bowl, be careful and use an oven mitten.
- When pouring the oil-cannabis infusion in the jar through the cheesecloth, keep enough distance between that and yourself. You don’t want accidental burns.
What is a liquid marijuana shot made of?
If you are talking about the liquid marijuana cocktail shot, then it depends. Most people use ingredients like coconut rum, spiced rum, blue curaçao, melon liqueur, and pineapple juice. It doesn’t contain any weed.
But if you are referring to the liquid extraction of cannabis, then it should contain a good quality plant matter and any solvent of your choice. It can be vinegar, oil, or any alcohol, like ethanol or vodka.
Does liquid marijuana get you drunk?
If you are going for the liquid extracts from marijuana above, then it won’t get you drunk because there is no alcohol in it. But even if you use alcohol as the solvent, it will still not be enough to make you drunk.
But if you go for the popular drink, which also goes by the same name, Liquid Marijuana, then the story is different. In that case, liquid marijuana doesn’t contain too much of the alcohol in it.
Moreover, you usually don’t drink too much of it, but only small shots. So, it should not get you drunk. You can get somewhat drunk if you drink a high amount.
What are the side effects of liquid marijuana?
The side effects of liquid marijuana will depend on your making process and which solvent you use. Overall, the side effects of liquid marijuana are not that adverse. In fact, if you use olive oil, you can get some nutrition out of it.
It is so unless we are talking about the cocktail, which also shares the same name.
Make sure to dosage the oil right when using it later. The dosage should depend on how much cannabis you used in the beginning. Using 7 grams should be the higher limit. In that case, you should dose it low (like one teaspoon of marijuana liquid) at first and check how you feel. Thus, you can gradually build your resistance to it and dosage it higher.