The trichomes on your cannabis plant are visible to the naked eye, but it is not enough to get the information and details you need. For a better view, you will need to view these trichomes under a microscope to get magnified images, just like you used to do in your biology class during school.
Microscopes are used to observe and view tiny objects across various industries like microbiology, histology, etc., and there are various types available. When you grow cannabis plants, you should harvest these plants at the right time, neither too late nor too early.
If you are looking for a digital microscope for trichomes of your marijuana plants, there are lots of options available that provide high image quality and great magnification. However, you need to be wary of poor microscope models, which will turn out to be a waste of money.
After extensive research, we have curated a list of the best microscopes you can purchase to view your cannabis plant’s trichomes. Keep reading to know about their features, pros and cons, and much more.
Best Microscope for Viewing Trichomes – Detailed Reviews
Let us take an in-depth look at the best available trichome magnifying glass on the market:
APEXEL Phone Microscope
A portable and very easy-to-use pocket microscope by APEXEL that works with all smartphones. It is a great option if you want to view your cannabis plants trichome under a microscope. The product is lightweight and offers great magnification and image quality.
- The lens attachment is not made with a low-quality resinous lens and is instead made with a 4-pc quality glass lens.
- Every lens has 3 to 5 coating layers that improve image quality. It offers a real close-up view and has a 0.14-0.17 inch working distance.
- It features an in-built LED light and provides a bright environment when you are in low-light areas. The LED light starts glowing as soon as you open the lens cover.
- You do not need any specific app to use the microscope, and there is no need to buy an individual phone case for it. Just clip the lens to your phone’s camera and start observing trichomes.
- The lens has an integrative, no-spring, no-screw design with a universal parameter clip that works with all major smartphones.
- Attach the portable microscope to the phone and view your trichomes. It takes around 1.5 hours to charge, and the LED works for 2 hours.
- Professional high-quality optical lens
- Easy-to-use with automatic LED light
- No phone app or phone case needed
- Universal clip parameter that works with every smartphone
- Charges quickly within 1.5 hours
- Magnification is lower than specified
- Lens ring light gets dim with use
- Ringed light causes glare
- Gets difficult to focus on objects sometimes
YVELINES LCD 7 Inch Digital Microscope
This LCD microscope by YVELINES comes with a 32G TF card and provides 1-1200x clear magnification. Featuring a video recorder and an HD screen, the product is great for observing trichomes and jewelry identification.
- 12-megapixel camera with 1-1200x magnification to observe trichomes clearly. Even in low field views, it keeps high resolution, a large depth field, and no black edges.
- It has a great screen that is clearly visible even without the microscope’s LED light. The integrated screen improves efficiency and reduces eye fatigue.
- This USB microscope has a 45-degree rear and front adjustment bracket that tackles the issue of vertical reflection. For a bigger range, it offers 15cm up or down adjustments.
- Packed with a rechargeable in-built 3000mah battery, the microscope works for 4 to 5 hours with 3 hours of charging.
- During observation, you can click videos or photos and save them on a 32GB memory card. You can transfer the files from the SD card to your computer.
- Clear 12MP camera with 1-1200x magnification at a high resolution
- Integrated display screen which reduces eye fatigue
- The microscope works clearly without its LED light on
- 45-degree front and rear, and 15cm. up and down adjustment
- Rechargeable in-built 3000mah battery
- Magnification is lower than 1-1200x
- Works better for inspecting jewelry or electronics instead of a trichome magnifier
- The lens quality is not very good optically
- Fuzzy and dark edges can be an issue
Carson MicroBrite Plus 60x-120x Power LED Lighted Pocket Microscope
For those looking for a trichome weed microscope, this 60-120x pocket microscope by Carson MicroBrite is a wonderful choice. It even has a power LED light to observe trichomes better in low-light areas. Available as a single piece or in set-of-4
- The microscope offers a powerful, clear 60x-120x range of magnification through which you can have a crystal clear observation of trichomes.
- Featuring a precision-driven Aspheric Lens system, you get superior optics that provide distortion-free, clear images.
- You can start with the base magnification setting and increase it as required once the object is in focus.
- The portable microscope has a lightweight and compact design that makes it easy to carry and use it anywhere. You should remove its battery if you want to store it for a long time period.
- Features a bright LED light powered through a AA battery. You have to buy the battery separately.
- Powerful and clear 60x-120x magnification
- Precision-driven aspheric lens system for superior optics
- A portable, lightweight, and compact design.
- AA-battery powered LED light
- Difficult to hold and adjust the microscope
- Lenses don’t have great visibility
- Does not work properly without a flat surface for viewing
- Narrow depth of field and poor lens positioning
Celestron – LCD Digital Microscope II
An authentic biological microscope for trichome observation, this LCD microscope by Celestron is worth considering. It has an in-built 5MP camera and comes with a 1GB micro SD card and a durable case for carrying.
- Features an in-built 5MP camera to capture quality images and 30 FPS videos of the trichomes and other objects.
- An elite-level full-color 3.5” LCD TFT screen with onboarding software.
- Powerful 40x – 1600x magnification along with good zooming to view a range of tiny cellular objects.
- Includes a one GB SD card offering adequate storage for more than 600 high-quality images and videos of your specimens.
- It comes with many accessories, including a durable canvas carry case, 5 made slides, dust cover, 4-plug universal adapter, and AV-out cable to view on projectors or TVs.
- In-built 5Mp camera and a full-color 3.5” LCD TFT screen
- Powerful 40x – 1600x magnification with digital zooming
- Comes with a one GB memory card
- Includes a dust cover, canvas carry case, 5 made slides, universal adapter, and AV out cable
- Very difficult to focus properly
- LED light is blocked by the stage control
- AV output and screen do not work together
- Screen resolution gets poor with high magnification
T TAKMLY Wireless Digital Microscope
A wireless digital microscope for viewing trichomes, it even has a great camera to click photos or videos. It can be used with your Apple or Android phone and even with your Windows PC. You get a lot of useful accessories with this microscope.
- Offers 50x – 1000x magnification with 2 million pixels along with 1080p HD smartphone picture quality and 720p computer picture quality
- Comes with in-built 8 dimmable LED lights to offer illumination even in low light areas.
- You can quickly charge the microscope, and it works for a long duration. It is simple to carry with you and works like a fixed magnifying glass.
- Has WiFi connectivity for smartphones after you download its complementary application. Compatible with both Android and Apple smartphones.
- It is compatible with Windows computers through USB connectivity. Just disable the default webcam, and change privacy settings to use it with your PC
- With the microscope, you receive a USB cable, a base, stand, user manual, and round-the-clock customer support.
- Powerful magnification and high definition
- Portable and easy-to-carry
- Digital camera with high-quality digital zoom
- WiFi for phones and USB for computers
- Optional iOS, Windows, and Android application
- Focus knob is hard to move
- Magnification is lower than specified
- The computer application is buggy
- Image quality can be better
- Application is not user-friendly
ROTEK Wireless Digital Microscope
Wireless 50x – 1000x magnification digital microscope by ROTEK along with a 2MP HD camera. Pocket-sized device that can be used handheld and is compatible with iPad, Windows, and smartphones.
- The upgraded microscope works without limitations with an Apple, Android, or Windows device.
- Being pocket-sized, it is easy to carry the microscope anywhere and inspect trichomes, jewelery, insects, etc.
- A 1080p HD, 2MP digital camera that allows crystal clear pictures and videos. You can save these files on your computer.
- In-built adjustable 8-LED light helps you use the microscope in woods, forests, or other areas with low light.
- You get a case, metal stand, holder, and charging cable with the microscope.
- Pocket-sized and easy-to-carry
- Upgraded microscope with easy connectivity to PCs and smartphones
- Fitted with a 1080p HD digital camera
- In-built 8-LED adjustable light
- Works well in woods and low-light areas
- The build quality is not up to the mark
- Poor layout of buttons and controls
- Hard to focus at higher resolutions
- Videos do not record audio
YINAMA LCD Digital Microscope
A 4.3” LCD digital handheld microscope with 50-1000x magnification and a digital camera. Comes fitted with 8 LED lights, an HDMI port, and a rechargeable battery.
- In-built 4.3” inch digital screen offers a broad view field when inspecting your cannabis plants trichomes.
- Easy and stable connectivity to smartphones and computers.
- Powerful magnification levels from 50x – 1000x allow viewing of small details in your specimens like trichomes, jewelry, coins, etc.
- Easy adjusting of the microscope to achieve coarse focus or fine focus by rotation of focus wheel.
- Evenly-weighted and sturdy base to keep the microscope stable and focus better on the object without shaking.
- Comes with a high-quality rechargeable battery that provides more than 4 hours of working time and simple charging with a USB cable.
- In-built digital 4.3” screen
- Powerful magnification levels of 50x-1000x
- Easy focus through the focus wheel rotation
- Evenly-weighted and sturdy base to reduce shaking while observing trichomes
- Easily rechargeable battery with 4 hours of working time
- Magnification is lower than 1000x
- Provided card reader is faulty
- Zoom is quite low
- Hard to connect with PC sometimes
Plugable USB Digital Microscope
Equipped with a flexible arm observation feature, the digital microscope by Plugable has a 2MP digital camera and provides magnification up to 250x. Connect the microscope easily with your Mac, Windows, or Linux computer.
- Hobby-focused microscopic camera that is useful for observing trichomes and testing of tiny natural or artificial objects.
- Fitted with a 2MP digital camera and provides powerful magnification of up to 250x.
- Features a sensor and webcam chipset to support all operating systems, but Oculus Rift users may need additional setup.
- In-built LED light with easy brightness control and adjustment features.
- Comes with an arm stand, and you can measure easily through graduated marks on the observation pad.
- 2-year warranty on labor and limited parts
- High-definition digital camera
- Powerful 250x magnification
- Compatible with most operating systems
- Integrated LED halo lighting
- 2-year parts and labor warranty
- Stand has limited vertical reach
- Lower magnification and poor zooming
- LED light leads to a glare
- Some PCs do not recognize the gadget
- The stand’s suction cup is weak
Carson MicroBrite 20x-40x LED Lighted Pocket Microscope
The MicroBrite pocket microscope by Carson with 20x-40x magnification and a fitted LED light. It is easy to carry the lightweight and compact gadget, and it comes with two specimen slides and a base. Ideal to use if you are new to THC microscope gadgets.
- Great magnification with 20x-40x along with zooming to properly observe trichomes and other tiny objects.
- A compact and lightweight design that is easy to carry in your pocket and take anywhere.
- Comes with a base to keep the microscope sturdy while focusing on objects and 2 specimen slides to use.
- Powered through 3 LR44 button cells that are included with the purchase.
- Bright LED lights to provide sufficient illumination when viewing objects in low-light areas.
- Good magnification and zooming
- Lightweight and compact design that can be carried in pockets
- Base and 2 specimen slides included with the purchase
- Powered by 3 LR44 button cells
- In-built LED lighting
- You have to hold the light button all the time you want to use it
- Build quality could be better
- The scope is very narrow and uncomfortable
- LR44 button cells are hard to find
Carson LumiLoupe Pre-Focused Stand Loupe Magnifiers
The pre-focused Carson LumiLoupe is a great trichome magnifying glass that provides different levels of magnification and is available in various lens options. It has a durable and rugged build quality that does not get spoiled quickly.
- The lens has a 1-inch diameter and a pre-focused dual loupe perfect for close-up observation of tiny specimens and objects.
- A 10x magnifier power stand along with an acrylic transparent base that allows a lot of lighting to enter.
- Magnifying is perfect for viewing trichomes, jewelry, collector items, coins, etc.
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty by Carson on various parts and labor.
- Pre-focused dual loupe perfect for close-up observation
- 1-x magnifier power stand
- Transparent acrylic base for proper lighting
- Different levels of magnification
- Comes with Carson’s limited life time warranty
- Hard to focus with the 10x lens
- Loupe gets out of focus when viewing flat surfaces
- Focus shifts when you look away from view field’s center
- No in-built LED lighting provided
Product Comparison Table
|A portable and very easy-to-use pocket microscope by APEXEL that works with all smartphones. It is a great option if you want to view your cannabis plants trichome under microscope. The product is lightweight and offers great magnification and image quality.|
|This LCD microscope by YVELINES comes with a 32G TF card and provides 1-1200x clear magnification. Featuring a video recorder and an HD screen, the product is great for observing trichomes and jewellery identification.|
|For those looking for a trichome weed microscope, this 60-120x pocket microscope by Carson MicroBrite is a wonderful choice. It even has a power LED light to observe trichomes better in low light areas. Available as a single piece or in set-of-4|
|An authentic biological microscope for trichome observation, this LCD microscope by Celestron is worth considering. Has an in-built 5MP camera and comes with an 1GB micro SD card and a durable case for carrying.|
|A wireless digital microscope for viewing trichomes, it even has a great camera to click photos or videos. Can be used with your Apple or Android phone and even with your Windows PC. You get a lot of useful accessories with this microscope.|
|Wireless 50x – 1000x magnification digital microscope by ROTEK along with a 2MP HD camera. Pocket-sized device that can be used handheld and is compatible with iPad, Windows, and smartphones.|
|A 4.3” LCD digital handheld microscope with 50-1000x magnification and a digital camera. Comes fitted with 8 LED lights, an HDMI port, and a rechargeable battery.|
|Equipped with a flexible arm observation feature, the digital microscope by Plugable has a 2MP digital camera and provides magnification up to 250x. Connect the microscope easily with your Mac, Windows, or Linux computer.|
|The MicroBrite pocket microscope by Carson with 20x-40x magnification and a fitted LED light. It is easy to carry the lightweight and compact gadget and it comes with 2 specimen slides and a base. Ideal to use if you are new to THC microscope gadgets.|
|The pre-focused Carson LumiLoupe is a great trichome magnifying glass that provides different levels of magnification and is available in various lens options. It has a durable and rugged build-quality that does not get spoiled quickly.|
Buying Guide for Trichome Microscopes
It takes a lot of work, time, and effort to grow cannabis plants, and you will love to see the trichomes close up when the plant is growing. Observing trichomes and buds is a great time-passing hobby for many growers.
However, you will need a high-quality and efficient trichome microscope for this. There are thousands of gadgets available, and some of them are wasteful. You have to go for a good-quality microscope, and it is important to consider certain aspects when looking for one.
Go through the following buying guide-
Type of Microscope
Microscopes have various attributes and features that make them inverted, compound, stereo, or some other type. You need to choose the kind which suits your need for viewing microscopes.
Digital – Technically, all microscopes are digital, but this type is the one that can be connected to your computer. You can store photos and snapshots to document and track the harvesting of your cannabis plants.
Traditional – These have little slides, a lens, and an arm that can be adjusted using knobs. They are stationary and do not have a light source. These are not useful viewing trichomes.
Compact – Such microscopes are smaller in size and can easily fit in your pockets. You can get the functionality of a proper microscope in a small, portable gadget.
Image and Video Clarity
The quality of images and videos captured matters a lot in a microscope. Always search for a microscope that can focus on a macro level and clicks high-quality images so you can see the tiny details in the trichomes of your cannabis plants.
Saving of Images
When a microscope allows you to save the images you take, you can conveniently document the harvesting of your cannabis plants. You can store the state of trichomes with different parameters like humidity, temperature, moisture, time, etc.
You can find magnification levels up to 1000x in microscopes which is great. For looking at buds or trichomes, 50x magnification is more than enough. If you want more magnification to observe cells or other tiny objects, then you can go for higher magnification levels.
Most microscopes nowadays come with a fitted lighting source so you can view objects even in areas with a low light. This is an optional feature but quite useful because you won’t be able to use a microscope in dark areas. In-built lighting is quite useful.
Durability and Build-Quality
You do not want your microscope to crack or break down within a week of purchase. Build quality and durability matter a lot when you purchase a portable microscope. Do not go for poorly-built items, and make sure you buy a strong, durable one for yourself.
The above factors should always be considered whenever you are searching for a trichome magnifier.
What magnification do you need to see trichomes?
If you want to observe the trichomes of your cannabis plants, then magnification of around 50x – 60x is ideal for it. You can view trichomes with more magnification, but a minimum of 50x is enough to view trichomes.
What is the best way to look at trichomes?
A jeweler’s loupe, pocket microscope, or smartphone can help you look at trichomes. However, the best choice among these options to look at trichomes is through a digital microscope.
How do you see trichomes under a microscope?
Get a young leaf from your cannabis plant’s shoot and keep it for two days in 4% paraformaldehyde. Wash the leaf with phosphate-buffered saline thrice. Get a cross-section by cutting the leaf and place it on the glass slide of your microscope. Use a gel mount to cover the leaf with a cover slip.
How long does it take for cloudy trichomes to clear?
Cloudy trichomes appear before harvest and indicate the maximum level of cannabinoids in the plant. It takes around two weeks for cloudy trichomes to clear, and you should try to harvest the plant when around 50% of all the trichomes are cloudy.
For those who love growing their own cannabis plants and smoking from their own harvest, it is essential to examine trichomes to know the best time for harvesting the plants. In the above blog, we looked at the best trichome microscopes you can buy.
Make sure you consider all the important factors before purchasing a trichome microscope so that you get the one that meets your needs and requirements. Observe your trichomes regularly and harvest the plants when the time is right.